It’s the idea, not the content of the sandwich. I saw this in the Rocket Cafe in Morningside and it really works well. After toasting only two slices of bread, they have cut one of the slices as if they were making melba toast, then used each thin slice in the sandwich. Look again at the picture. A great idea!
Whole packet of spagetti, about 500g
150ml of double cream
3 medium eggs
50ml of milk
250g chopped smoked bacon
150g freshly grated parmesan
1. Fry bacon in a splash of oil and set aside.
2. Whip eggs, cream and milk together then add half your parmesan and season with black pepper.
3. Boil spagetti for about 10 minutes until al dente.
4. Turn off heat and drain pasta saving half a cup of pasta water.
5. Return pasta to hot pan and quickly add the bacon, parmesan and egg mixture.
6. Add some of the pasta water if dish is a little thick.
7. Serve with even more freshly grated parmesan and pepper.
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch flaked red chilli
- 8oz mushrooms quartered
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 tsp clear honey
Fry the onion inÂ the oil until softened. Add the cinnamon chilli and cumin and stir in. Add the mushrooms ,stir then add the tomatoes ,chickpeas ,and honey. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for ten minutes.
I like to serve this with couscous soaked along with some chopped dried apricots then roast pinenuts and chopped parsley added before serving
- FOR FOUR
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1lb chicken thigh skinless diced
- 1 large leek sliced
- 4oz button mushrooms halved
- 2oz pancetta lardons
- 300ml carbonara sauce from chill cabinet or in a jar
- 2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- chopped parsley
Heat half olive oil in a large frypan and fry chicken until browned.Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
Add the leek and mushrooms to the frypan and fry till soft. Add to dish. Fry pancetta in pan till cooked and add to dish.
Spread the sauce over the chicken. Mix breadcrumbs.parsley and the other tablespoon of olive oil. Scatter over chicken
Bake at 170 fan oven till golden and bubbling about 30 mins
- For eight portions
- 2 onions
- 10oz carrots
- 2lb small potatoes
- 1lb lean minced beef
- 2 beef stock cubes plus one oxo cube
- 2 x400gm cans baked beans
- splash of worcestershire sauce
- Chopped parsley to garnish
Roughly chop up veg
heat a large non-stick pan(it saves on the washing up)
add the mince and brown.
crumble in the stock cubes and add the veg
Pour in 1 1/4 pints of water and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 mins until veg are tender.
Add baked beans and worcestershire sauce.
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Serve with a green veg of choice in shallow bowls.
Garnish with chopped parsley if liked